Re: LilyDev - some questions

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: LilyDev - some questions
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 20:10:30 +0000

On 5/9/18, 12:08 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Federico Bruni"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:
    Don't you have a date&time configuration in the system settings?
    I'll have a look and see if I can improve this. The thing is that these
    new LilyDev machines (compared to the old ones) come ready to be used,
    without the hassle of a step-by-step installation (which on the other
    hand would allow to configure the system as you like). It's a trade off.

Federico,

I really appreciate your work on maintaining and improving LilyDev.  It's SOOO
much better to have LilyDev than to have to create my own installation from
genric distro iso's.  You've really cut down the work required for me to get a
usable development environment on my MacBook pro.

That being said, I don't find the latest versions of LilyDev to be an nice as
previous versions.  I don't like the pre-configured setup.  I didn't want my
user name to be dev.

I went back to LilyDev 4 and just installed updated Ghostscript and the URW
fonts.  I'm happier that way.

I can't speak for others, but for me, I want LilyDev to solve all of the
problems of which Unix distro I should use and which packages I should have
installed.  But I want to do my own setup customization for users, time-zone,
language, etc.

Also, it's a challenge to me that we keep moving Unix distros (Ubuntu, Debian,
Fedora).  I've been really happy with Debian.  I'd like to avoid changing away
from it if at all possible.

 Thanks,

Carl