Re: Microrhythm

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Microrhythm
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:26:48 +0100 (BST)

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the world of LilyPond

On Mon, 14 May 2018 10:30:54 +0200, Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> > On 14 May 2018, at 01:28, Dave Tremblay <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I just found out about your software, and I love it! Great work, and
> > very powerful tool. However, I wonder if it would be possible to make it
> > play, or at least display, microrhythms, as there are no available option
> > that I know of, and your software seems to me to be the likely candidate
> > for that.
> >
> > If you want a little wrap-up about what microrhythm is, I’ve written this
> > post on my blog not so long ago:
> > http://canthisevenbecalledmusic.com/advanced-mathematics-2-microrhythms/
> > <http://canthisevenbecalledmusic.com/advanced-mathematics-2-microrhythms/>
> >
> > If you have any question, feel free to ask! Thanks,
>
> It seems that this is a way to describe time bends, which are common in
> Balkan music, for example, the "Leventikos" meter [1] has heavy such, cf.
> [2-3].
>
> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leventikos
> 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danVp3WkOxo
> 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQBciqOy74

I do not believe that this notation is possible 'out of the box' (so to speak),
however LilyPond has a very powerful and configurable syntax that someone on
the 'user' list may be able to help you create - or has already created.

While there is crossover with people on both dev and user lists, there are many
on one list that are not on the other (me for example). And if someone did come
up with a solution for you, the rest of the user base would be able to see and
perhaps this has already been done.

Regards

James