Re: C++ standards

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: C++ standards
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 18:11:36 +0000

On 7/5/18, 12:02 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    What C++ standard should we be able to ask for?  I think that at the
    current point of time, C++11 should be reasonably fine for the asking.
    That would have the advantage that we would have a few more STL
    container types to choose from and some more functionality.  I think
    that we should be able to retire std-vector.hh as well (which is
    basically there for ensuring that there is a data () member function I
    think).

    It would also be slightly less frustrating to programmers used to living
    on the edge of standards (not that C++11 would be anywhere near the edge
    nowadays).

    Would we need some autoconf tests?  Should we provide some --std=c++11
    option or similar at least to gcc?

I am not knowledgeable enough on C++ standards to add anything to this
conversation.

I am willing to go as new as desired, as long as:

1) The person who wants to move newer will take the responsibility for getting
the code to compile properly under the desired standard,
2) gcc works properly under the desired standard (which I guess is really part
of 1

Thanks,

Carl