Re: GUB

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GUB
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:39:57 +0200

Carl Sorensen writes:

>     Wouldn't that mean abandoning Windows?
>
> I haven't looked carefully at GUB for a few years, and even when I
> did, I scarcely advanced beyond the "cargo-cult" stage with it.  I'm
> copying Jan on this email, because he can likely give better answers
> than I can.
>
> As I understand it, GUB does two things.
>
> 1) It makes sure all of the needed packages are present in the appropriate
> form to complete the build
> 2) I has appropriate build scripts to accomplish the cross-platform build
> under Linux.

In essence, GUB is a mini source-based distribution that allows cross
compiling.  With some extra patches and recipes for packages that
LilyPond (and Denemo?) need.

Guix is very similar.  It uses Guile instead of Python and is a whole
GNU/Linux system.  GUB does have some things that Guix does not have,
but if we add them to Guix, everyone can enjoy and we don't have to
maintain all this ourselves.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com