Re: LilyDev - some questions

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: LilyDev - some questions
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 16:32:08 +0200

Il giorno gio 9 ago 2018 alle 6:52, Dan Eble <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Jul 26, 2018, at 22:15, Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jul 26, 2018, at 00:47, Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:
- Finally I'd like to figure out a way of running the containers also in a Windows or Mac host machine. See this issue:
https://github.com/systemd/mkosi/issues/251

Would xhyve further that goal? (Virtualization software is not my forte.)
https://github.com/mist64/xhyve

In answer to my own question: no, xhyve is just another way to run a VM on macOS.

I looked around for a way to run your containers as they are, but I didn’t find anything. I tried to import lilydev-debian-0.2 into Docker, but I gave up when I found no /bin/bash to run in the container.

I believe I could have imported and used your full VM image, but I wasn’t very interested because it includes stuff I don’t really need (like a GUI). Instead, after a small amount of work, and relying heavily on the list of packages in your mkosi.debian, I succeeded in creating a Docker image based on Ubuntu 16.04 and then using that to build lilypond, the regression tests, and the English language docs.

So far, I see some advantages of Docker over VirtualBox. For one thing, the clock appears to stay in sync after the host sleeps and wakes. I intend to use Docker for a while to see what happens. If the kernel panics only half as often as under VirtualBox, I’ll be a happy man.

Hi Dan

Trying Docker was on my TODO list... Can you send the Docker file?
I'd like to add it to LilyDev repository.

BTW, I'm thinking about merging the mkosi files of LilyDevOS repository in the old LilyDev and delete LilyDevOS. I think I'll organize the source tree per tool: debian-live (discontinued), mkosi and docker (active). And then use a Makefile or Meson to build what I want.