Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 13:25:08 -0400

Hans thank you for passing this along to the dev list, replies below...

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 4:40 AM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Looks great! A possibility is to add a compile option using
> Helmholtz-Ellis arrowed accidentals, which would be better for non-Turkish
> to approach this music, and also avoid the confusion about the sharp signs
> in AEU notation. I made a example of that, Hicazkâr Peşrevi by Tanburî
> Cemil Bey. It depends on Smufl, though.
>
> Also, you might include your new makam file in the LilyPond distribution,
> along with regular.ly, Graham Breed I recall okayed that in the past, but
> somehow it as not happened so far. Maybe some of the developers here can
> tune in on that.

I'm currently in an email exchange with Graham Breed about some of this and
he also suggested including regular.ly along with though also said the
following:

"Ideally, it would be a function added to the Scheme API so you don't even
need an include file."

Is this doable? We would still need to set our temperament but before I get
too far ahead of myself, could that be:

(was)
tuning = #53
%\include "regular.ly"

(proposal)
\eqtemptuning \53

(something like that)

Regarding the differences in our key signatures, right I hadn't thought of
that! I'll go ahead and change all 0/53 to simply 0. As David Kastrup it
doesn't make a difference to Scheme. Figuring out all of those key
signatures was a mind bender for me.

Could you please show a pdf of your Cemil Bey Hicazkar Pesrev using HE
arrowed accidentals? And how to make that an option?

Adam