Re: GUB prerequistes

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: GUB prerequistes
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 08:37:18 +0100

Il giorno mer 12 dic 2018 alle 1:46, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Starting out on GUB for the first time to look at python uplift. My build
fails. Is it the case that it needs python 2.4 (which is I suppose the
whole point of what I want to fix). I was unable to see the list of
prerequisite to setup gub. I am installing on my own Debian 9 system. is this inadvisable? I did not think I have to use LilyDev images. if earlier python is require, I can just run up a python virtual environment, can I
not?

Hi Andrew

Some time ago I worked on a patch to the CG manual to list the dependencies needed by GUB, but I never completed it since I never managed to run GUB successfully.
I'll send the list later today.

In my opinion, you'd better use the LilyDev container.
One of the big problems with GUB is that everybody gets a different error, because they build GUB in different environments. If we all work in the same environment, we can help each other more easily and try to fix one error at the time. A recent pull request has made LilyDev ready to crossbuild, as required by GUB. This does not mean that GUB runs successfully but it's a first step. The person who submitted the PR and me are having the same GUB problem.

Hopefully today I'll be able to make a new LilyDev release: there will be a Debian-based container which can be run on Linux host and a Ubuntu-based Docker image which can be run on any host.