point-and-click in emacs using xdvi

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: point-and-click in emacs using xdvi
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 04:31:55 +0200 (EET)

Is anybody using the point-and-click -feature of xdvi? I tried the
following procedure which was present in
  http://lilypond.org/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Point-and-click.html
This is how far Mandrake 8.1 with guile-1.4 and Lilypond-1.5.25 allowed me to
go in order to use the feature:

1) INSTALLING XDVI
COMPILING FOR INSTALLING

  tar xzvf xdvi.tar.gz
  cd ./xdvi-22.48
  ./configure
  make

INSTALLING IN THE PRESENCE OF OTHER XDVI (older one)

  mv /usb/bin/xdvi /usr/bin/xdvik
  cp ./xdvi /usr/bin/

2) CONFIGURING EMACS
CONFIGURING EMACS-STARTUP, APPEND TEXT (there is already lilypond-mode)

  echo "(server-start)" >> ~/.emacs

SETTING XEDITOR-VARIABLE IN BASH

  echo 'export XEDITOR="emacsclient --no-wait +%l %f"' >> ~/.bashrc

PREPARING LY-FILE, INSTERTED AS A FIRST LINE

  #(set! point-and-click line-location)

3) USING LINE-LOCATION (?) WITH LILYPOND 1.5.25
PREPARE FOR XDVI, OPENED "theme.ly" in EMACS, '.bashrc' etc. are in use

  (invoke "2PS (C-c C-f)"       = ly2dvi -P theme.ly)
  (invoke "SmartView (C-c C-s)" = xdvi theme.dvi)

?) PROBLEM: USING XDVI

  (press "C-Mouse1") -> message box: "No source specials in this .dvi file"

Here we are ...

Whether "#(set! point-and-click line-location)" was included to the .ly-file
or not, the size of the resulting .dvi-file was always the same. The result did
not depend on wheter the text was written in the beginning and in the end of the
.ly-file.

--
      Heikki Junes