Re: Lyx and Lilypond

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Lyx and Lilypond
Date: 02 Jan 2002 16:48:38 +0100

"Ton 't Lam" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a convenient way to enter Lilypond in Lyx.

I don't know much about Lyx.  Does Lyx allow verbatim latex inserts?
If so, try inserting

   \begin{lilypond}
   a b c
   \end{lilypond}

and replace the compiling command 'latex' with a lilypond-book
wrapper, if Lyx allows this, something vaguely like:

   lilypond-book-wrapper:
   #!/bin/sh
   lilypond-book --format=latex $1
   base=$(basename $1 .lyx)
   latex $base.latex

See also:

http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Integrating-text-and-music.html

Btw, I've never quite understood, what *is* the advantage of Lyx over
Emacs+auctex?  This is a valid latex file, to be preprocessed by
lilypond-book:

    \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
    \begin{document}

    In a lilypond-book document, you can freely mix music and text. For
    example:
    \begin{lilypond}
      \score { \notes \relative c' {
         c2 g'2 \times 2/3 { f8 e d } c'2 g4
      } }
    \end{lilypond}
    Notice that the music line length matches the margin settings of the
    document.

    \end{document}

> Met vriendelijke groet,

Gelukkig nieuwjaar