Re: lilypond woks!

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: lilypond woks!
Date: 06 Jan 2002 12:41:42 +0100

"Robert F. mudde" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Robert,

> this night I had a brain wave (don't worry, in my case that doesn't mean to
> much). At home we have two computers in a small network. The one that we all
> most often use is a relative new one, with lots of software on it. The
> second computer is the old one. Now the point is: that old one has no latex
> installed. So I figured, lets try lilypond on this one, as it seems that
> there were conflicts with the various Texs running. Besides the old PC uses
> windows98 and the new one windowsME.
>
> And guess what: it works!!!

That's good to hear.  I'm pleased that you didn't give up!

> All I had to do is change the name of the home
> directory, just like yesterday, to remove the space. Then, I run ly2dvi on
> the foo.ly file. To my dissapointment it gave the same latex errors. But I
> ran it 5 times and surprise surprise all in a sudden there was the magic: a
> dvi and ps file was created.

Yes, that's because in the current setup, the cygwin environment work
well with the windows miktex.  Hopefully, we'll have a more robust
Windows installation in a few weeks; we've been working on that for
some time now.

> Now the remaining problems are: gsview32 does not run on the old
> computer

Why not?  Did you try the older version too (the install offers two
versions)?

> and how to print  ps-files if only an Epson850 is present.

Well, if ghostscript runs, you can do the conversion by hand.  If you
type

    gs --help

you'll see the devices it can convert to.  You'll

    gs -sDEVICE=epson -OutputFile=lpt1 foo.ps

or so.

> Gs can produce pdf-files which
> can be printed here at home. Unfortunately the printing quality is no match
> to the original ps-file.

Yes, there's been some discussions about pdf and windows, but I don't
know much about that.  You may find something by searching the mail archives:

    http://lilypond.org/search/

> So you see: one more happy user is about to start!!!!!!

Ha, we'll quote you on that!

> Thanks very much for the help!!!!! If we run into new problems, we certainly
> now how to find you, haha.

Ok, but please find me through the mailing list ;-)

Jan.