Re: Artificial string harmonics question

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Re: Artificial string harmonics question
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:26:36 +0100

Am Freitag 22 Februar 2002 00:18 schrieb Graham Percival:
> It looks as though "artificial harmonics" means something different for
> guitars.  I don't know if the cello-artificial harmonics are possible
> to do on a guitar; if not, that would explain the difference.  :)

True indeed. On the guitar, the artificial harmonic is created by touching
the string in the middle (an octave higher than stopped) with the right hand
and plucking simultaneously. Touching a fourth higher makes no sense on the
guitar, because the resulting sound would be too soft and quaint, as it's a
plucked and not a bowed instrument.

Now here's a mean one that throws me off completely: How do you notate the
sound often heard by a jazz guitarist that sounds like the basic fretted note
and the artificial harmonic together? It is created by striking the note very
hard with a pick held between thumb and 1st finger of the right hand and at
the same time, touching the string extremely lightly at 1/4 of its way from
the bridge with the 3rd finger (takes a lot of balance).

Regards, Amy

--
Louey & Amy
Soul, Jazz & Gospel from Berlin