Re: help with installation

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: help with installation
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:50:45 +0100

Michael J McGonagle <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been trying to get Lilypond installed now for the past week.

Which version?

> I have tried to compile from sources (which cause an error about
> missing some guile component, the docs say 1.3x or better, I have
> 1.4),

>From a quick peek at latest Mandrake it looks like they have tree
guile packages: guile-1.4, libguile9 and libguile9-dev.  What versions
of these did you install, or did you maybe compile guile yourself?

> and I have tried to use the rpm binaries (this complained that the
> rpm file was in DB3 format, whatever that means).

Where did you get this rpm?  It may be very old.  I just tried the
latest from my neares cooker mirror
(ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS2/lilypond-1.4.2-1mdk.i586.rpm),
which seems to be fine (I can get a file listing from it).

> I am using Mandrake 8.0

Mandrake seems to be at 8.2, upgrading can do miracles, some times...

>, and I followed the link the RPM that was set up for this system,
> but the link is dead.

URL?

> I guess I am old-fashioned, but I still like *.tar.gz archives better.
> Does anyone know if there is an archive in this format for Lilypond,
> either sources (if you can tell me how to ge around guile) or binaries?

Sources are at ftp://lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/v1.4, but you did have
sources?  It is no use distributing binary tarballs, you need a
package that fits with your system.

Jan.