Re: Simple problem gettingh started

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Simple problem gettingh started
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:28:25 +0100

"R G Whedon" <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't seem to be able to either change this "default" or to point
> Lilypond to another directgor which does not have the space.
>
> Any ideas what I shouild do?
>
> ly2dvi:error: filename should not contain spaces: `/usr/bin/Ralph Whedon/foo'

Best is to create a new home directory.  Start the Cygwin or LilyPond
shell, and do:

    $ HOME=/home/ralph
    $ mkdir -p $HOME
    $ cd

To go there automatically, each time you log in, edit the file

    /etc/passwd   (windows name: c:\cygwin\etc\passwd)

using vim or wordpad, and change the `/usr/bin/Ralph Whedon/' to
`/home/ralph'.

Greetings,
Jan.

PS:
It's also custom not to post HTML messages to a mailing lists, such as
this one.  If you are using Microsoft Outlook (Express), you can send
normal plain text messages by clicking through the menus
Tools/Options/Send/Mail Sending Format/Plain Text, with options:

    Set Message format as MIME, set "Encode text using:" to None.
    Set Automatically wrap text at 70, and > is used to indent
    original text.

See also: http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/listadmins/plaintext.html