Re: Performance indications

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Performance indications
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:40:37 +0200

> Hello--
>
> Here's a question that refers specifically to multi-voice scores. I'm
> running Lilypond 1.4.13 on a modified RH 7.2 distro.
>
> I wrote a quartet score using the two-file technique detailed in the
> manual (os-music.ly, os-score.ly), using a little additional help from
> the opus-130 example included with the source. Everything works fine,
> including part extraction, but there's one thing that I cannot seem to
> do. I'd like to put the usual sort of performance indication at the
> beginning ("Allegro," for example), but have it appear only above the
> orchestra staff in the full score while appearing in each extracted
> part. If one puts it in the\notes for each voice as a text grob attached
> to a note or rest, it of course appears above every voice in the score,
> which looks silly. On the other hand, this is the only way I know of to
> have it appear in an extracted part.
>
> Is there a way to put such an indication in the "global" settings along
> with key and meter? I notice that there is an attempt to do something
> this in the opus-130.ly, but it does not appear in the printout at all.
> It reads:
>
> \property Voice.TextScript \set #'font-style = #'large
>     s8^"Allegro assai"
>
> As I said, this has absolutely no effect on the Postscript result at
> all; it's as if it never existed, at least on my setup.

If you take a look at the bottom of the file in the \score{...}
declaration, you'll notice that the \tempi identifier isn't
used. If you uncomment the commented line and comment the
next line, you'll get a version of the score with the tempo
indication included. In the same way you can include the
\tempi identifier in the separate parts.

In general, this is the way I usually treat the problem.
If you want a different font on the tempo indications compared
to the other text scripts in the score, it's convenient to
define a separate Voice context for the tempo indications,
for example:

tempi = \context Voice = tempi \notes{
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'font-relative-size = #1
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'padding = #4

\time 4/4
s1*20^"Vivace" | % Print Vivace, wait for 20 bars for the next
s1*10^"Largo" | % tempo indication.
\time 3/4 |
s2.*20 |
s2 s4^"da apo al Fine