Re: Linux:Noteedit:Guitar chord diagrams

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Linux:Noteedit:Guitar chord diagrams
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:35:56 +0200

Joerg Anders <address@hidden> writes:

> LilyPond cannot deal with guitar chord diagrams. Actually it has a
>          special feature for chord name annotation. But this is unusable
>          for NoteEdit export because it tries reverse mapping from
>          pitch combination to chord name.

That's too bad.  Why can't you use it, how does NoteEdit calculate
chord names?

>          Thus, NoteEdit exports the
>          chord names as ordinary uptext. Unfortunately, LilyPond
>          does not take the width of the uptext into account. So
>          it can happen the chords overlap.

Too bad you haven't asked, LilyPond can do both.  I'm sure it's
described in the manual.  See:

    #(define flat '((raise . 0.2) (font-relative-size . -1)
      (music (named "accidentals--1"))))
    #(define sharp '((raise . 0.4) (font-relative-size . -1)
      (music (named "accidentals-1"))))

    \score {
        \notes {
            c2^"very wide and long text" c \break
            \fatText  % short for \property Voice.textNonEmpty = ##t
            c2^"wide and long text with $\\sharp$ and $\\flat$" c | \break
            c^#`("C " ,sharp)
            c^#`("C " ,flat)
        }
        \paper{
            indent = 0.0\mm
            linewidth  = 70.0\mm

>          LilyPond has problems with # signs in uptext. Therfore # is
>          converted into +.

If you go through TeX, you can't use the tex macro parameter character
`#'.  However, you can use $\sharp$ and $\flat$ (how do you do flat
and natural now?).  A much more beautiful option is to use markup text
and use LilyPond's feta font characters.  See above.

Greetings,
Jan.