Re: forcing hshift

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:28:18 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>
> > {a2 a4} + {a4 a2} = {a4 a4 a4}
> >
> > This spacing has been bad for years.  I hope it's fixed now.
>
> I don't agree with you.
> You seem to think that spacing should be calculated globally on score
> level without thinking about individual voices. I.e. this would mean
> that in your opinion two shifted voices with quarter notes
>
> < { c4 c c c }  {c8 c4 c c c8} >
>
> should get same spacing as one voice with eight notes.
> Furter more your approach would mean that the first measure of this
> example should get same spacing as 2nd measure, which I concider very
> bad spacing.

I tend to side with Rune on this issue.  Dave's request would mean
that Lily would have to have the intelligence to detect what kind of
rhythmic patterns are in the piece, and that seems like a hairy issue.

 A semi manual solution is possible. if the user tells what kind of
notes should be regularly spaced.  I once implemented this, but I
threw it away together with the old spacing engine. The original
motivation was standchen.ly, a piece where there are running 8th notes
in the accompaniment.  Currently, their spacing gets botched every
time an 8th triplet is played against it.

With the feature you could specify regularSpacing = #(make-moment 1
8), and get regular 8th notes.  it was introduced in 1.5.2, and i'd be
very glad if someone would front-port it again (hint hint :-). It also
makes a ragtime piece that I tried to do with lily a lot easier to
read.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen