Re: forcing hshift

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: forcing hshift
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:17:46 +0000

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:40:57 Han-Wen wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > in tab, it would be like this:
> >
> > |     |     |
> > *-----------*----|
> > *-----*----------|
> >
> > Because tab is always one voice.  That's what's wrong with it.
> > Tab has the beginnings of notes, but takes no account of
> > where they end.  But the column spacing is unhairified.
> > If only you spaced the notes according to the tab.  That's
> > why it's too bad you didn't do tab long ago.
>

> This paradigm falls apart when you do complex hemiolas (i.e. 7/6 and
> 5/4 in 4/4 time), because the beat is nowhere to be seen. Keep in mind
> that lily has to handle more than only your guitar music.

With a 5/4 tuplet, center point of the 3rd and 4th notes should
be exactly the same as the center point of the 4th and 5th notes
in the 7/4 tuplet.  It doesn't help that there is no note to be
seen on the beat, the tuplets still have to be centered,
especially if you
are playing the 5/4 and 7/4 (or 7/8)  tuplets at the same time.

In flamenco especially one does a lot of 5 on the guitar.

> > And the solution in the past for me has been to add a
> > third part.
>
> indeed, if the quarter notes are there, they'll spaced that way.
>
> > > With the feature you could specify regularSpacing = #(make-moment
> 1
> > > 8), and get regular 8th notes.  it was introduced in 1.5.2, and
> i'd be
> > > very glad if someone would front-port it again (hint hint :-). It
> also
> > > makes a ragtime piece that I tried to do with lily a lot easier to
> > > read.
> >
> > Would that help with < { a4 a2 } { a'2 a'4 } > in 3/4?
>
> sure. You could force the distances between 1/4 time differences to be
> equal.

No one wants this:

|    ----|     |
|    |||||     |
o    ****o     |

but that doesn't mean that this:

|   ----| |
|   ||||| |
o   ****o |

is ok instead of this:

|   ----|   |
|   |||||   |

The half notes in such a measure should be equal in following space.
And they are in lilypond afaik.

but with < { a4 a2 } { a'2 a'4 } > the half notes in the measure
are not equal in following space.

This has nothing to do with guitar music per se.  What have other
programmers done?

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden