Re: Installing lily 1.5.63 messes up abcm2ps

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installing lily 1.5.63 messes up abcm2ps
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:11:34 +0200

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
> > > As mentioned in my most recent posting, gv can't even display the pile
> > > from lilypond -f ps, so...
> >
> > It probably can if you install vector versions of the font files,
> > either by running
> > make pfa-fonts
> > make MAKE_PFA_FILES install
> > which requires installation of pktrace and a number of
> > other programs that pktrace uses (see INSTALL.txt)
> > or by downloading all the files from
> > http://www.s3.kth.se/~matsb/lilypond/
> > I should change the README file, use your lilypond
> > installation directory instead of $LOCALTEXMF.
>
> Hmm, might be a solution. Or I was thinking of wrapping lily in a script
> and setting and resetting $GS_FONTPATH in each end...

The thing is, you don't want to use lilypond -fps anyway.
Stay with ly2dvi (or ly2dvi -P if you want a .ps file directly).
Since this will produce postscript files with embedded fonts,
just as any other ordinary .ps files, you don't need any settings
of $GS_xxx variables.

> > However, regarding your initial question about abcm2ps,
> > we're still waiting for your input to the following
> > questions from my previous email:
> >
> > - Is $GS_LIB or $GS_FONTPATH set if you don't have lilypond-profile?
>
> Nope:
> address@hidden atte]$ echo $GS_FONTPATH; echo $GS_LIB
>

> address@hidden atte]$
>
> > - Try to find out which one of the variables causes the problem.
>
> $GS_FONTPATH...

Strange, GS_FONTPATH is supposed to add to the existing
fonts, not to override the default search paths.
As far as I can see from the .tar.gz file for abcm2ps,
it doesn't contain any special fonts but draw the note
heads and other musical symbols using direct postscript
commands, so I can't understand what breaks.
Have you tried to view some other .ps file
(you can find examples at
http://lilypond.org/stable/short-examples.html).
Here, I can view them no matter how I set $GS_FONTPATH.
What Ghostscript version do you use (gs --version)?

   /Mats