Re: Different time signatures

From: William R Brohinsky
Subject: Re: Different time signatures
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:15:50 -0400

This is one that was solved for me a short time ago. There may be a
newer fix, but you don't say which version of lilypond you're using.
This one is good for 1.6.0 and on:

In the paper block, add the following:

        \translator{ \ScoreContext
                        \remove "Timing_engraver" }

        \translator { \StaffContext
                        \consists "Timing_engraver"}

The first line removes the timing engraver from the score context level,
the second reinserts it at the staff context level. The result is that
each staff is considered separately from each other for time signatures
and such, rather than as a score.

The only shortcoming of this approach is that you are now responsible
for all coordination of barlines between the staves. In other words, you
have to explicetly tell lilypond what kind of bar lines to use for each
part when you want something different from the standard
single-thin-barline. This is always going to affect the final barline
(at the least), so it makes a good example: for each staff, you will
have to explicetly specify the final barline with

\property Staff.whichBar = "|."

rather than being able to put \bar "|." in one of the staves, and having
Lilypond apply that to all the staves.

I hope this helps you as much as it helped me!

raybro