Grouping notes

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Grouping notes
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 03:52:13 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I am writing a paper on musical analysis. In there I need score-examples
> where the notes are grouped together. Normally this is done via a horizontal
> bracket underneath the score. As the exmples are musically quit simple I
> started
> by using slurs. But I ran into two problems:
> It seems that I cannot use slurs to bind notes and rests. And second (which is
> more severe) I need a grouping-hierachy. So I need to be able to do more than
> one level of grouping...

>    c c r    c c r     c c r   c c r           <--- notes
>   |------| |------|  |-----| |-----|          <--- grouping level 1
>  |-----------------||---------------|         <--- grouping level 2
> |------------------------------------|          <--- grouping level 3

lilypond 1.7.2 CVS,

    \notes
    {

        c4-\groupOpen-\groupOpen-\groupOpen
        c4-\groupClose
        c4-\groupOpen
        c4-\groupClose-\groupClose
        c4-\groupOpen
        c4-\groupClose-\groupClose
    }

(I thought it would be easy, and indeed, it was, but it still took me
3 quarters of an hour to get it working.)

Anyway, it's a tad late, but I hope you appreciate it.

PNG image

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen