Font problem? Extended character set

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Font problem? Extended character set
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 23:44:44 -0700

A) Environment:

a) Lilypond 1.6.5, Cygwin installation, using 'install now' from web site, replacing existing version (1.4.2?) on a Windows 98 SE system.

b) Using Notepad to input a (German) song - 1 voice and piano.  Entering words with german umlauts.  Targetting 'letter' paper.

c) Lilypond novice at this - have been using Mutopia as a tutorial supplement, but I understand that some constructs may be obsolete.

B) Symptoms:

Default setting displays the umlaut properly.  However, I only get 2 lines (voice, lyrics & piano) per page, so I added the "\include "paper??.ly" line (??= 16 & 13).  Resulting font smaller, but no umlaut characters AND any occurances of characters 'fl' in the lyrics disappear.  (However, 'Fl' is OK).

C) Questions:

1) From http://lilypond.org/stable/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/INSTALL.html#TOC5 I understand that the old .pk and .tfm files need to be removed - are these replaced?  In other words, if I remove them now, does that imply a reinstall is required.  Or is post-install removal sufficient?

2) Do the symptoms describe a known issue?  If so, is there a known fix or workaround?  (And, if so, what is it?)  Else ... suggestions/advice appreciated.

3) (somewhat off topic) Any documentation describing 'best practices' or 'successful methods' for using Lilypond?

D) Code:

\header
.
. notes, etc ...