Re: more Scandinavian

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: more Scandinavian
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:14:52 +0100

The problem is that the TeX code that Lilypond outputs uses low-level
TeX font selection commands, not the NFSS font selection scheme of
LaTeX2e. As long as you don't have any national characters in the
actual music (lyrics or text scripts), it will work fine to use
the fontenc package to specify the T1 encoding. If you have 8bit
characters in lyrics, say, that don't exist in the default OT1
encoding, you could manually tell Lilypond to use the T1 encoded
version of the font using
    LyricText  \override #'font-name = #"ecrm1000"

The disadvantage of this solution is that you override the
normal font selection mechanism in Lilypond, so the size,
or weight of the font isn't set the ordinary way.
Also, ly2dvi will not give you the necessary
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} line.

See also

David Bobroff wrote:
When I saw the "Scandinavian characters" subject line I thought I would
hear of a solution for my problem.  It didn't.  So I tried a search on for "t1" and found this:

If you use lilypond-book or your own wrapper files, don't use
\usepackage[[T1]{fontenc} in the file header but don't forget
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} if you use any other non-anglosaxian
Now does that mean that I must use lilypond-book for my score and put,

in the preamble?  The character I need to use is not simply an accented
vowel but is the Icelandic eth (ð), or \char240.  Is there not a switch in
Lilypond for using the latin1 charset or is it done only with LaTeX via

David Bobroff

Lilypond-user mailing list

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing