Simple question about rests

From: a . p . selby
Subject: Simple question about rests
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:34:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hello.

I was reading the lilypond example page

http://lilypond.org/stable/examples.html

and looking at the first page of the first example (Petite Ouverture ...)
it seems that a rest can have an incorrect vertical position. E.g. in bars
12 and 13 the second quaver (eighth note) rest is in line with the upper
note (the A) instead of the lower pair of notes. The rest should be placed
out of the way of the A because the A _exists_ at the same time as the
rest, but it seems lilypond won't do this unless the other note (the A in
this example) actually _starts_ at the same time as the rest.

[This is slightly surprising because it means that rests are being treated
differently from notes.]

I looked for discussion of this problem, but I couldn't find any in the
support mailing lists (perhaps I didn't look properly). It would be nice
to know if the problem is due to be fixed or if there is a work-around.

Thanks,

Alex Selby