Re: How to organize the source?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How to organize the source?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:08:28 +0100

Your approach seems reasonable. In addition to the example discussed
in the Tutorial and the template files, you may also want to look
at the full examples included in the Lilypond distribution but also
the examples at the Mutopia web site (watch out that some of the
source files at Mutopia are written for old versions of Lilypond,
though).

   /Mats

Hans Forbrich wrote:
Is there a compendium or discussion of successful styles or methods of
using Lilypond available?  This would be beyond the extremely useful
templates.   I'd like to verify whether the source layout of a SA + TB +
Piano score (Cygwin/Lilypond 1.6.5) is reasonable.

As a summary of what I did ...

I needed to print each voice separately, preferrably with consistent
spacing, line breaks, marks on each print.  The score runs around 100
bars with 3 key and 5 time changes. I created 4 files:  SA.ly  TB.ly,
Piano.ly and Score.ly

In the Score.ly, I created two extra "voices", Breaks & Keys.  "Breaks"
contains nothing but spaces and \break to adjust spacing,  "Keys"
contains spacer notes and all \key, \time, \mark and other special
symbols thaty are consistent across all print variants.  I then included
these two voices as simultaneous to the 'real' voices. Thus all layout
and global ornaments are consistent.

Lilypond does an incrediable job already & has all sorts of macros to
make life easier.  Therefore, the questions
- is this a reasonable approach?
- or am I doing things that Lilypond already does for me?

/Hans

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems