Re: How to represent shifts in fingering

From: Daniel Ashton
Subject: Re: How to represent shifts in fingering
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:13:12 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:

Daniel Ashton <address@hidden> wrote:
In the manual I find that fingerings can be represented using -N,
where N is a decimal.  In string music, shifts from one position to
another are often represented by a straight line connecting two
fingerings.  Can this be done in lilypond?

I'm certain that it _can_ be done, but I don't know of any easy way. Here's one way of fudging it, though:

\score{\notes{
a4^"2" b4^"-2"
}}

(you might want to try something like b4^"---2" instead)

BTW, you can also represent fingerings using ^N and _N.  I find this
occasionally useful for showing alternate fingerings.

Interesting technique, but I think this will produce only horizontal lines. What I'm looking for should be similar to the voice follower lines created with \property PianoStaff.followVoice . The chief difference, of course, is that the follower lines should follow from one fingering to the next. And it couldn't be automatic. There should be a way to indicate "put a shift line here" in the .ly file.

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org
mailto:address@hidden         http://ChamberMusicWeekend.org