Re: caesura

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: caesura
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 19:56:36 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:

As for the caesura, I think  the proper solution is to add the
character to the font, and use it with BreathMark  (syntax: \breathe).
From what I gather, the symbol is not complicated, so it should be easy.

As long as it can intersect the top one or two lines of the staff.

Probably.  Unfortuntely, I don't have an example of it handy (most of
the time the conductor just tells us to put it in there, so I make two
angled slashed in the music in my messy handwriting :) , and I'm not
at all familiar with fonts.

Paul, do you have an example you could scan in or something?

I gave this in my second post in this thread:

It is ID113 in unicode visible here: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

BTW, you do know that we have a breath mark that looks like little
tick ( ie. ' ) through the top staffline.  Would that satisfy Paul?

No, but I'm sure we'll have a good solution here soon.

I use \breathe quite often, but that's not quite what Paul is after.

Imagine this: the whole orchestra is playing fast 16th notes,
fortissimo, with an accel.  The music builds up -- and then suddenly
stops, leaving a few beats of silence before something else happens.

That's the kind of place this symbol is used for (sometimes called
"railroad tracks").  It's not a breath mark that's used to aid in
phrasing a lyrical melody; it's a sudden, complete, and perhaps
unexpected stop.  I think it's used more often in musical theatre
than in symphonic music.

Probably true.  That's what I was working on when this came up.

I still haven't time to try your other suggestion but I hope to do that right away.

Thanks,

Paul