Re: HaraKiriStaffContext for French? style orchestral parts

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: HaraKiriStaffContext for French? style orchestral parts
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:03:29 -0700

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 22:45:06 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been using HaraKiriStaffContext to write ensemble parts in the
> multiple staff practice of many French composers quite sucessfully
> except for the following problem:  If both of the similar instruments
> on this part have long rests where other instruments in the ensemble
> may have notes the rests are removed by the HaraKiriStaffContext
> translator as is intended.  How else do others solve this problem?  My
> thought

If you're producing a score (with all instruments), then I see no
problem at all.  If you're producing parts (for example, music that has
th two Clarinet parts on it, or the viola part, or whatever), then don't
use HaraKiri.

I suggest you do this: have one (or more) lilypond files that contain all
the notes and actual music, but no score blocks.  Then have one "master
score" (for the conductor) that uses HaraKiri and has all parts in it, and
also an extra lilypond file for each instrument, which doesn't use HaraKiri
but only displays that particular instrument.

If you really need to use HaraKiri context but don't want the rests to
disapper, then use "r1" instead of "R1".

Cheers,
- Graham