Re: Lute tablature

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Lute tablature
Date: 19 May 2003 11:58:19 -0400

    Taco> About your Dowland edition: EVERY luteplayer prefers the
    Taco> lutetablature to some modern notation. A tablature part
    Taco> should exist in every dowland edition.
    >>
    >> Well, dra obviously disagrees with you,

    David> Not at all.  I was simply pointing out that all you have to
    David> do to get the lute tab for Dowland is to use letters
    David> instead of numbers, leave off the stems, and include
    David> notation *also*.

And a lute player who was reading the tab would be able to get the
stem information from the keyboard part?  That seems unlikely, but I
would be willing to believe that lute players don't really figure out
the rhythm from the stems.

    David> The advantage is not only that it would be accessible to
    David> more people but also it could have the highly desirable
    David> feature of omitting the stems from the tablature.  While
    David> the notation does take up vertical real estate, so do the
    David> stems.

Vertical real estate isn't my problem; convincing a lute player to
play with me is.  If leaving off the stems makes it harder for a lute
player, I don't want to do it.

I'm not under the impression that the stems are all that big of a
problem.  Rune couldn't remember how to do it off the top of his head,
but surely a staff with the lines invisible and the note heads (all on
the same pitch) invisible (OK, and all the stuff like clefs and key
signatures not printed) would do it.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139