Re: How to double in octaves

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: How to double in octaves
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 23:35:37 -0700

Daniel Ashton wrote:

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

This is the desired behaviour! If you have chords of music that really belong to one and the same voice, you should only have one slur.
Well, um, I'm not sure.  Here is a scan showing where I got my "bad"
ideas.  http://daniel.ashtonfam.org/Dix-Bass.gif

These are ties not slurs.  Do you have an example with slurs?

Knowing something of the intention of this music, the editing looks
right to me, i.e. stems joined, slurs on both noteheads.  As a tubaist
playing either line, I shouldn't have to watch for slurs on the other
noteheads.

What do you think?

I think there are two scenarios here. The first is a desire to reproduce existing parts. That might need to follow existing conventions. The second is writing new legible parts. With this we can take advantage of computers to save work and produce very legible parts. I don't think there really any absolute rules for Daniel's question. Of course that doesn't address the effort to program Lily to do the work.

I find that when parts are far apart (like the octaves in the example) that I would prefer that phrasing and articulation marks are near the noteheads or at least the stems meant for that player. I am more likely to misread things when my eye has to make too much travel.

Paul Scott