Re: Figured bass spacing problem

From: Mark Hymers
Subject: Re: Figured bass spacing problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:57:32 +0100

On Thu, 17, Jul, 2003 at 06:52:14PM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys spoke thus..

> address@hidden writes:
> > The problem is that when I'm trying to display an accidental without a
> > number it doesn't line up properly.
> >
> > So, for example (#=sharp, b=flat !=natural):
> >
> > 4#
> >
> > instead of
> > 4#
>

> I've changed this in 1.7 CVS, by introducing
> alignBassFigureAccidentals. It defaults to off, which produces your
> desired notation. Is this the official notation?

I think so yes.  Certainly it's much better than the old rendering.  If
an accidental is there without a number, it applies to the 3rd of the
chord and the accidental should be centered.  To be pedantic, I also
think that instead of:

7
5
3 6

It should be:

7
5 6
3

This applies for things likeĀ·

6
5 6

as well, i.e. the 6 should be vertically centered in the gap left for
figured bass (a bit up from where it is in the ASCII art).

That said however, the accidental change on its own is a wonderful
improvement.

Many thanks,

Mark

"I once absent-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
 and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
 a bottle of chili sauce."
     Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett