Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: Project - Emacs mode extensions for LilyPond
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:11:40 +0200

Aaron <address@hidden> writes:

> Rosegarden and muse and pd and fluidsynth are all jack
> clients and midi apps.

I had a look at fluidsynth; it seems to be able to output
through Jack (which is nice) and get input from the ALSA
sequencer as a client.  This is very important (*), but has
nothing to do with Jack AFAICT.

> With jack you can have virtual midi ports and all sorts of
> nifty effects with midi.

And this is exactly what we are after (**), I only found no
mention of it on the Jack homepage except for a statement
that Jack does not *yet* support MIDI, so that applications
has to go directly to the ALSA sequencer.  Where did you get
this info from?

Michal Seta <address@hidden> writes:

> how about considering to use an existing sequencing
> library, like http://tse3.sourceforge.net/,

Sounds like a good idea.  I saw no Jack output here, either.

> it might be nice to allow the user to choose between using
> an external MIDI device or _any_ soft synth.

Yes, it is the main point of this discussion (**).  As I see
it, Timidity and probably FluidSynth also can act as ALSA
sequencer clients (*), and the latter can send output to
Jack.  Maybe we should ask on linux-audio-devel or such
about the current trends and best ways.
                                               Feri.