Polish lyrics

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Polish lyrics
Date: 01 Aug 2003 12:19:34 -0400

I can probably get answers to some of this if I read some of the stuff
the people doing Hebrew, Russian, or Chinese have been struggling
with, but it seems like Polish should be easier.  Also, I have the
abc2ly problem, which I don't think any of them have mentioned.

My first attempt was a little abc file:

This has a line of Polish "lyrics" which looks correct in xemacs:

        w:Ą eł żą Ź

But when abc2ly turns it into lilypond, it no longer looks anything
like Polish:
        wordsdefaultVA = \lyrics  {
                - B¡ e³ ¿± ¬- A
        }

So when I run lilypond on test.ly, I get:

/home/lconrad/music/psaumes/babylon-polish/test.ly:8:0: error: syntax error,
unexpected $undefined:

¡ e³ ¿± ¬

If I hand-substitute the real Polish characters for the ones that
abc2ly mangled, I still get the error, and only the ascii "e" comes
out in the lyrics.

Putting quotes around each "word" removes the error, but I still don't
get any Polish characters in the output.

So what am I going to have to do:

        in Lilypond, to make it recognize that it should be printing
        Polish (latin-2 or latin-3 encoding instead of latin-1)?

        in abc2ly, to make it transfer the characters I type instead
        of garbling them?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139