Re: question about accidentals

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: question about accidentals
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:22:33 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> As I'm coming to understand it, if you are in "\key F \major",
>     "bes" will give you a no-accidental B
>     "b" will give you a b with a natural accidental
>
>   Yeah?

a "no-accidental B" does not exist, strictly speaking:

 * Note heads on the staff have or have not accidental signs in front
   of them.

 * Pitches are always either natural, sharp or flat (or double/half
   flat/sharp).

A B-flat pitch is denoted as a notehead without accidental sign, when
the key-signature is F major (and there are no B-natural pitches
preceding it in the same measure, and .. etc)