Re: piano_reduction & grand_score

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: piano_reduction & grand_score
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:23:01 -0400

On Friday 17 October 2003 12:08 pm, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Well, here it comes:
>
> Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > Here comes a modified copy of your example that
> > should solve most of your questions (I put it all
> > into a single file for simplicity, but I realize
> > that you may want to split it in a full size project.)

Consider using sly and \include "trio-pt1.ly" for example
for your notes.  Have a global part, and a global clarinet
part also, to contain this stuff:

>>\property Staff.transposing = #-2
>>\time 4/4
>>\key ef \major
>>\clef treble

for each clarinet, for example.  You can use lyinclude later to copy
everything into your score and parts.  Sly has this format:

pt1 | pt2 | pt3 | pt4 | pt5
pt1 | pt2 | pt3 | pt4 | pt5
pt1 | pt2 | pt3 | pt4 | pt5

It will be changed to this in the new version:

clarinetI !! clarinetII !! global !! etc.
clarinetI !! clarinetII !! global !! etc.
etc.

but you won't care because you will have the part-ptn.ly files already
done.

Also upcoming is sly2.  Sample source file:

Part=clarinetI::ci: \notes c4 |1   |2.....
Part=clarinetII::cii: clarinetII.sly or .ly will be the filename.
Part=horn::h: horn.[s]ly will be filename.  "h:" at beginning of
line is the search specification.
to continue horn part just keep typing.
Part=global::g: \clef etc......
Part=clarinetglobal::cg:  Type in all the parts you want, each with a
search specification, and the
formatting is complete.  To get an empty line in clarinetI.ly:
ci:
ci: < these search specs will not be present in the part files.
Empty lines will not be in the product either.
cii: User has to type the search spec at the beginning of each
line or group of lines.
h:
 g: <--this will turn up in the horn part, after the empty line,
because it's not at the beginning of the line.
cg:

--------end of example file.sly2

The filenames are taken from what is between "Part=" and "::".  Then
that part is continued by jumping to the search specification, which
the user types at the beginning of each continuation.  Jeez, that's so
simple it makes me feel stupid.

Right now I'm still putting the bells and whistles on the python
version of sly.  Nothing is implemented of sly2, but it looks so
trivial to write, even for me, that I'm surprised no one has done it.
If anyone has any suggestions I would delight in hearing them.

Barcheck auto numbering should be pretty easy.  I will have to have a
way to remove them also, but wouldn't it be a good feature to allow
numbering in lilypond source files anyway?

|1  |2  |3  or |1  | | |4 |5  or whatever?  The parser would have to
ignore an integer following a barcheck without whitespace, not check it
for accuracy.  I apologize if you have done this already, I asked for
it years ago.  I don't use barchecks myself, but other people do, and
|1 is a lot easier to type than |%{1%}.

Any editor autobarnumbering would take the first number, say 49, and
count from that.  When encountering a lower or equal number, it would
reset to that. It could be a syntax feature working the same way,
simply by ignoring numbers which do not reset the count.

Also, are there any problems with Python versioning with Lilypond for
different platforms?  optparse looks like a better idea than getopts,
maybe?.  That's why I'm asking.  daveA

--
Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox
made a