melisma problem

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: melisma problem
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:27:57 -0600

lilypond v2.1.6

4/4 time, end of piece:
note1( note1 note8) r r4 r2 R1 \bar "|."
lyric:
word----------------------.

The last syllable of a hyphenated word begins on the first whole note.
I have a similar situation earlier, except that the notes are two whole notes tied together.
The following works for the earlier occurrence:
   word1.__ _.2
and provides a melisma which extends nearly to the end of the measure, followed by a space and finally, a period.

I have tried the same arrangement with the problem segment, i.e.,
   word1.__ _.2 \skip1 \skip1
and have tried other variations of similar timing.
The output is a melisma which ends at approximately the first beat of the second whole note, followed by a large blank space and a period approximately centered in the measure.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Stan