Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for sugges

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: example files (was "Re: SATB 2-staff template and request for suggestions")
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:37:01 -0600

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 07:14 AM, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 17:30, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
Nick:
Kieren, what you are suggesting definitely makes sense.  The more
examples the better, especially if they are written in a style and
with comments that make it easy to follow what you are doing with
the lily code and possibly why.

Well said!

My purpose was merely to point out that a resource exists
something along the lines of what you want.

Mutopia can be very helpful, but there are problems with the
files there as examples:

1. It is not clear before download what version of lilypond was used to
create a file.  There is a very nice footer at the bottom of
Mutopia-2004/01/05-38S, but lilypond is not mentioned, nor is the
version used to create the file.  Some Mutopia files are quite old, and
that is not a bad thing, but it would be helpful if you didn't have to
load or open anything to find out the version.

2.  There are mistakes.  For example, in Mutopia-2004/01/05-380
the first note is not dotted and 34 or so dots are just missing.
(The lower part should be dotsDown.)

3.  In the same file, three parts are written but the "global" part is
prefatory rather than sumultaneous, so that the benefit of having a
global part is not realized.  It would be better to call that part
"prep" or something other than global, in case one wants both.  The
setting is adequate except for the dotted notes, and it has excellences,
and it works, but my concern is that it doesn't serve as a very good
example for a newbie.

4.  Last, there is some questionable notation here and there.  There
is a great need for constructive criticism, and I don't feel that
it would be appreciated.

daveA

Speaking as a relatively new Lilypond user and a Mutopia contributor, I, for one, would welcome criticism. I know the maintainers of Mutopia are responsive to inquiries (or at least as responsive as their paying jobs allow).

I certainly would not represent my contributions as examples of "correct" Lilypond syntax and I know how easy it is for an error to exist in the file. I must have sent Chris at least five updates of one of my pieces; all were accepted graciously and the updates were posted.

Most of my initial use of Lilypond came from Mutopia examples. Mutopia currently has a search engine which allows searching by Lilypond version; it didn't when I started.

I was drawn to Lilypond through Mutopia (and references to it at cpdl.snaptel.com). I am no more than a novice. My coding will look very amateurish to any experienced user, but I am having fun doing it, the results are usable, and I am learning with every attempt.

I would suggest contacting the maintainer when problems are noted with Mutopia editions and letting Mutopia know if there is no response.

Regards,

Stan Sanderson
Physics Teacher (Retired)
Network Consultant