Re: PDF file problems after upgrading to 2.1.6

From: Nick Busigin
Subject: Re: PDF file problems after upgrading to 2.1.6
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:03:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Nick Busigin wrote:

> I upgraded one of my computers to run lilypond version 2.1.6 last night
> and ran into a problem with the generated PDF files.  Most of the text
> disappears.  I get the following message after exiting the xpdf viewer:
>
>   Error: This document uses Type 3 fonts - some text may not be
>          correctly displayed
>
> I have no problem viewing the postscript files using gv.
>
> FWIW, I'm running
>
>   Debian Linux Woody
>   gv version 3.5.8
>   xpdf version  0.92
>
> Did the earlier 2.1 version of lilypond use type 2 fonts?  If that's the
> problem, is there a way of forcing lily to use type 2 fonts again?

In case anyone else runs into this...

I solved my problem.  Actually, it got worse before it got better.
First I upgraded my Debian Woody installation by:

 apt-get update
 apt-get upgrade

Everything upgraded fine without errors.  Unfortunately, after that
upgrade, xpdf started segfaulting when I tried to view pdf files
generated by lily!!!

So... I manually/individually fetched all the packages:  auctex, all the
ps and dvi viewers and utils, etc..  It was only when I asked apt-get to
install gs-aladdin and gs-pdfencrypt that xpdf started working properly
again.  There were a number of conflicts that resulted in gs-aladdin
being removed as gs-pedencrypt was installed, but in the end xpdf works
as it should.

Here's the installation steps that appeared to fix things:

# apt-get install gs-aladdin
Selecting previously deselected package gs-aladdin.
(Reading database ... 124665 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gs-aladdin (from .../gs-aladdin_6.50-5_i386.deb) ...
Setting up gs-aladdin (6.50-5) ...
Updating font configuration...
Cleaning up category psprint..
Cleaning up category cmap..
Cleaning up category cid..
Cleaning up category truetype..
Cleaning up category gsfontderivative..
Cleaning up category type3..
Cleaning up category type1..
Updating category type1..
Updating category type3..
Updating category gsfontderivative..
Updating category truetype..
Updating category cid..
Updating category cmap..
Updating category psprint..

... then...

# apt-get install gs-pdfencrypt
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gs gs-common libgimpprint1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gs-aladdin
  gs gs-common gs-pdfencrypt libgimpprint1
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 979  not
upgraded.
Need to get 3250kB of archives. After unpacking 1864kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main libgimpprint1 4.2.0-4
[500kB]
Get:2 http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main gs-pdfencrypt 1.0.4-6
[9318B]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main gs-common 0.3.3.0woody1
[23.0kB]
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main gs 6.53-3 [2717kB]
Fetched 3250kB in 31s (104kB/s)

dpkg: gs-aladdin: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you
request:
 pstotext depends on gs | gs-aladdin (>= 3.51); however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
  Package gs-aladdin is to be removed.
 gv depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 pstoedit depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 gnome-gv depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 mgetty-fax depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 webmagick depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 pstotext depends on gs | gs-aladdin (>= 3.51); however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
  Package gs-aladdin is to be removed.
 ghostview depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
 libgnomeprint-data depends on gs; however:
  Package gs is not installed.
  Package gs-aladdin which provides gs is to be removed.
(Reading database ... 124999 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing gs-aladdin ...
Cleaning up font configuration...
Cleaning up category psprint..
Cleaning up category cmap..
Cleaning up category cid..
Cleaning up category truetype..
Cleaning up category gsfontderivative..
Cleaning up category type3..
Cleaning up category type1..
dpkg - warning: while removing gs-aladdin, directory
`/etc/defoma/config' not empty so not removed.
Selecting previously deselected package libgimpprint1.
(Reading database ... 124666 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgimpprint1 (from .../libgimpprint1_4.2.0-4_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gs-common.
Unpacking gs-common (from .../gs-common_0.3.3.0woody1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gs.
Unpacking gs (from .../archives/gs_6.53-3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gs-pdfencrypt.
Unpacking gs-pdfencrypt (from .../gs-pdfencrypt_1.0.4-6_all.deb) ...
Setting up libgimpprint1 (4.2.0-4) ...

Setting up gs (6.53-3) ...

Setting up gs-common (0.3.3.0woody1) ...
Updating font configuration...
Cleaning up category psprint..
Cleaning up category cmap..
Cleaning up category cid..
Cleaning up category truetype..
Cleaning up category gsfontderivative..
Cleaning up category type3..
Cleaning up category type1..
Updating category type1..
Updating category type3..
Updating category gsfontderivative..
Updating category truetype..
Updating category cid..
Updating category cmap..
Updating category psprint..

Setting up gs-pdfencrypt (1.0.4-6) ...

Now that things work - back to work with typesetting with lily.

                                    Nick

Nick Busigin                                             address@hidden
            Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!