Re: Hebrew Lyrics

From: Richard Schoeller
Subject: Re: Hebrew Lyrics
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:31:42 -0500

Joerg,

All of those characters are in Latin 1.  Latin 1 is ASCII plus the
western European characters.  It has single-byte characters 1-255.
UTF-8 contains those characters too, but in UTF-8 those are 2-byte
characters.  There is no need to use UTF-8 to get them.

It would seem to me that making LilyPond handle UTF-8 (ie: byte-stream
Unicode) for the left-to-right cases would be fairly straightforward.
It would rely primarily on existence of fonts and of support in TeX.
OTOH, doing bidi or even plain right-to-left would be much harder
because it would challenge more of the assumptions in the layout engine.

Dick

--
Dick Schoeller
mailto:address@hidden