Re: number of chords

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: number of chords
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:27:13 -0500

On Monday 15 March 2004 16:48, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2004 10:04, Tiffany Weisman wrote:
> > I only meant the list as a starting point.
> >
> > I disagree that you shouldn't use "redundant"
> > notation. Cadd9 is different from Cadd2 or Csus2. As
> > is C9sus4 and C11. A higher chord extension suggests a
> > different way of voicing the chord. The 2 in there
> > suggests that you want the 2 and 3 or 2 and 1
> > producing the major 2nd cluster sound. A higher chord
> > extension would suggest you seperate the voices more.
>
> The more notes in a chord, the more likely a keyboardist is to
> cluster notes, and he couldn't care less about 9 vs. 2.  So what?
> Horn players and bass players have to read the chords too, in a
> hurry, and they are not in the business of clustering anything.
> Chords can't carry that much superfluous information without
> seriously inconveniencing the players.  Chords are not supposed to
> inconvenience the players, they are supposed to do the opposite.
> daveA

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have written this.  I was tired.  I didn't really
think that very many people would be interested in a historical
perspective on chords, but I hoped that some might.  I was just trying
to explain what jazz chords were and what their purpose was, once upon a
time, when there was a system.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing