Re: Percussion

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Percussion
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:45:08 +0100

Mostly, I deal with marching percussion, but the same sort of stuff applies
to all percussion really.  The main thing is the slashes through the notes,
and the grace notes without slurs.

A single grace notes without a slur but with a slash is trivial to
obtain, see http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-02/msg00122.html

If you want it for the full score, try something like
#(add-grace-property "Voice" Stem stroke-style "grace")
and then use \grace

The slashes through beamed stems are not supported at the moment,
but I have the same feature request for a completely different
application. The same notation is used in some early baroque
music.

Also, I don't know if anyone's ever brought this up before, but since
percussion parts are most often one note, there should be a way to not type
the note name every time...something like this:

\notes {
       \time 4/4
       c'8 16 16 16 16 16 16 8 r8
     }

Does that make sense to anyone else?

This feature has been discussed but it was many years ago.
I'm afraid it may lead to strange ambiguities in the
syntax.

   /Mats