Re: Percussion

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: Re: Percussion
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:49:00 -0700

On Tuesday March 16 2004 10:45, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> A single grace notes without a slur but with a slash is trivial to
> obtain, see
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-02/msg00122.html

Is there a doc somewhere that would have told me that a grace note with a slur
has to go under a phrasing slur since it breaks a normal slur?

> > Also, I don't know if anyone's ever brought this up before, but since
> > percussion parts are most often one note, there should be a way to not
> > type the note name every time...something like this:
> >
> > \notes {
> >        \time 4/4
> >        c'8 16 16 16 16 16 16 8 r8
> >      }
> >
> > Does that make sense to anyone else?

\notes \relative c'{
        \time 4/4
        c8 c16 c c c c c c8 r
}
is still shorter in my opinion for pieces larger than a short example. c16*6
would be yet a shorter way though that should make sense. =/

> This feature has been discussed but it was many years ago.
> I'm afraid it may lead to strange ambiguities in the
> syntax.

On the topic of ambiguities, es and ees both are e-flat; I haven't seen it
documented or used so I avoid it myself. it it normal, correct, and
acceptable for proper style?