Re: Guitar String Numbers

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Guitar String Numbers
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:34:05 -0500

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 11:27, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > Thanks for that clear explanation.  I thought that the benefit of
> > using \markup was that lilypond "knows" about the space it takes
> > up.  Is that the reason for using it, or is there some other or
> > others?
>
> You mean using ^\markup{ text } compared to ^"text"? As long as
> you don't use any of the markup commands, these alternatives should
> be exactly equivalent.
>
> > BTW, that new search feature is *super*.
>
> (I'm not sure anyone understands what new search feature you refer
> to, but I hope whoever feels responsible appreciates your gratitude
> anyway.)

You directed someone recently to the page which accesses the search
of the archives, and the engine searched a phrase, not just a word.
It's excellent.

> > The centering problem is that the left edge of the ring is aligned
> > with the left edge of the note, so the ring's contents are moved to
> > the right.  It doesn't really put the number in the center of the
> > circle, it puts the left edge of the circle where the left edge of
> > the number would have been and moves the number to the right into
> > the center of the circle.  In text, any other way would be very
> > unsatisfactory. You want_g_string to become_(g)_string,
> > not(g)string.
> >
> > I couldn't find any way of using backspaces ($\\!$) with \markup,
> > nor could I figure out how to use \center-align with \\textcircled
> > and \markup.  I just got errors or no effect.  Maybe there's a way.
> >  I tried and failed to find it.  Perhaps since \center-align and
> > \textcircled both do alignment, they don't play nice together.
> > Just a guess.
>
> No! First of all, \center-align only works within a single markup and
> makes sure that if you have several lines in your markup, these will
> be aligned to each other.

This works for some reason, with one line in the markup:

cs'4^\markup{\center-align <\italic \bold "8va - - - - - "> }

and \box does indeed box whatever you have without moving it to
the right.  Maybe that has something to do with \box being
able to use the bounding box of the letter without running into
others?

> single box and determines the alignment of that box based on the
> setting of the self-alignment-X property of the TextScript or
> RehearsalMark object, respectively. I'm still convinced that the
> problems you notice, appear because LilyPond misinterpretes the
> length of the markup (since it doesn't understand the LaTeX code), so
> when it tries to center this imaginary box containing the full
> markup, it fails.
> The proper solution would be to add a markup command that circles its
> argument, similarly to the \box command. This has been discussed
> several times on the mailing list, but nobody has taken the time to
> implement it. I'm afraid I don't know Postscript well enough to do
> the job.

I can see now why it's harder to do than \box.  At least the rings can
be made and centered pretty well anyway, so it's not critical.  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,