Re: MIDI output, just checking

From: Darius Blasband
Subject: Re: MIDI output, just checking
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:12:01 +0200

Ok, I guess I'm going to make a total fool of myself (again), but Matt indicated that the MIDI standard was limited to 16 channels, and that was the final reason
for my problem. When you say it is fixed in 2.2, does it meant that:

 - The staffs beyond the 16th are ignored
- The 16 channels limit is not intrinsic to the file format, and more channels can be defined, even if some MIDI players might fail to read them. Lilypond
    does use these additional channels.
 - None of the above, and I am making a fool of myself, again and again :-)

Thank you !

Darius.

At 12:04 6/04/2004 +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
address@hidden writes:
> Hello list,
>
> I still use a version 2.03, and it works really well. I'm a bit reluctant to
> move to the latest version, as my source is crippled with m4 macros
> up to a point where convert.ly cannot be used.
>
> However, I now encountered an annoying problem. I understand that
> it is unlikely to be corrected in the old version I'm using; I just wondered > whether it was in the more recent ones, so that it might be a good incentive
> to upgrade.
>
> Apparently, when generating MIDI output with more than 16 staffs, the
> content of the 17th and beyond is totally bogus. It really seems to be a
> Lilypond issue, as the problem persists no matter how the MIDI file
> is handled afterwards (played directly, imported into Cubase, etc...)
>
> Is there a 16 more or less hard-coded limit there ?

This is fixed in 2.2.