Re: Bagpipe Music and Grace Notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Bagpipe Music and Grace Notes
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:04:23 +0200

Roland's solution is fairly clumsy, since it hard codes the
position of the beam. It's better to change the default stem
lengths for beamed grace notes.

Andrew, you didn't say what LilyPond version you use. I assume
the latest stable version 2.2, which means that the syntax is not
exactly the same if you use an older version.

The properties that determine the stem lengths for beamed notes
are documented at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-internals/Stem.html
since they live in the "Stem" object. There, you can also find the
default values for normal notes. Especially, you should look for the
beamed-lengths (and beamed-minimum-free-lengths and
beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths) properties.
However, for grace music, the default settings are determined by the
variable graceSettings at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond-internals/Score.html

To change the setting for a single set of grace notes, try something
like:
  \grace{
  \override Stem #'beamed-lengths = #'(2.6 2.6 3.2)
   f64 [ e d c ] }

(the third number determines the length of 32nd notes, since they have
three flags).

To do the same setting for all future beams in the score, you can read
about the add-grace-property function at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Grace-notes.html
(there's an error in the syntax, though) and try something like:

#(add-grace-property 'Voice 'Stem 'beamed-lengths '(2.6 2.6 3.2))

The default values for grace notes should be corrected. Probably,
very few users have tried 32nd notes before, I can't recall having
seen the problem mentioned before.

   /Mats

Roland Goretzki wrote:
Hello list, hello Andrew,

You wrote:

Bagpipe music has tons of grace notes, all of which are printed as 32nd
notes.  The main problem I'm having is with beamed grace notes.  The
stems on groups of grace notes are just a little too short, and
sometimes the third beam actually collides with note heads.  You can see
this in input/test/bagpipe.ly.

I'd really appreciate help about how to correct this behavior.  Thanks
in advance.

Unfortunately I don't know a global solution, but a local solution would
be par example for the following little code

  \score { \notes \relative c'' {
    \grace { f64 [ e d c ] } e16 [ d f e ] d [ g f e ] }
  }

to put a line before the beamed group like this:

  \score { \notes \relative c'' {
    \once\override Beam #'positions = #'(5.5 . 4.5)
    \grace { f64 [ e d c ] } e16 [ d f e ] d [ g f e ] }
  }

For this example it is a better solution, but the vertical positions
determined with "5.5" (beginning) and "4.5" (end) is not relative to the
noteheads, but to the staff, so with changing pitches You have in each
case to change the vertical positions again.

Nevertheless:
Perhaps this is the solution which You was looking for ... :)

Best Regards           Roland

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems