Re: Cannot find voice

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: Cannot find voice
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:06:19 +0200

Doug Asherman <address@hidden> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I get
>> warning: cannot find Voice: choir
>> when compiling the attached file.  The output nevertheless
>> seems good.  The warning disappears if I comment out the
>> \set command.  Where should I put it to avoid warnings?
>>
>> \version "2.2.1"
>> \score {
>>      <<
>>          \new Staff {
>>              \set Staff.midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
>>              \context Voice = "choir" \notes { c' d' }
>>          }
>>          \lyricsto "choir" \new Lyrics \lyrics { du dumm }
>>      >>
>> }
>

> You need to "group" the directives; instead of
>
> \new Staff {
>    \set blah woof
>    \blah blah
> }
>
> try
>
> \new Staff <<
>    \set blah woof
>    \etc etc
>  >>

> Hope this helps.

Indeed it does, thanks!  However, I can't say I understand
why.  Is the semantics of the LilyPond input language
discussed somewhere in the manual?  As a moderately
experienced user I don't feel like I know what I'm doing
when writing LilyPond sources.  Most of the time I got what
I want, but sometimes I have to guess or even ask.  :) Seems
like I miss a piece of documentation.  I can't think of
LilyPond as a programming language, which it looks like.
Reading this newsgroup make me think I'm not alone.  I miss
a definition of the language!  What does << >> precisely do,
after all?  Trying to ignite a constructive discussion...
--
                                                Feri.