Ack: triplet question

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Ack: triplet question
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:14:46 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:

> On Monday May 24 2004 06:54, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
>
> > From a mathematical point of view, shouldn't the bar line
> > occur exactly at the same spot as the middle note of the triplet or
> > 7-tuplet?
>
> Actually I think it falls within the note; it would have to be expressed with
> a note tied over the bar.

Thank you all who answered this question. The reason for this
is a difficult problem. I try to implement triplet recognition from
MIDI file in my score editor NoteEdit
(http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html)
which also exports LilyPond.

On MIDI file there is practically no syntax (apart from some low level
instructions). Although a good triplet recognition is difficult
to implement (even Sibelius ($ 800) on Windows has a lot
of problems with this) I have some success. But there is no
mechanism to avoid triplets crossing bar lines especially if
the MIDI is recorded from a MIDI keyboard.

So, this is an additional problem. As you can imagine, the
answer from Mats Bengtsson most sympathically to me. Thus,
I'd solve this problem like Mats Bengtsson said, even if
there are some divergent opinions.

Again, thank you all!

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (address@hidden)