Re: need to move a single rest just a bit to the left

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: need to move a single rest just a bit to the left
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:34:07 -0400

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 08:12 am, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Unfortunately, there is no automatic support for this at
> the moment, but I found a comment in the implementation
> that this is on the TODO list (in the file lily/rest-collision.cc).

Just a reminder that colliding rests *always* are to the left,
regardless of the stem direction of the stem with which it is
colliding.  Do you want published examples of a rest before
a colliding stem?  I have a page of Sor with dozens.

Rather than move the rest to the left, it would probably look
better to move everything else to the right, if it is
impossible to compromise.  Can that be done now?  How?

A z-s quarter rest (Romantic, improved classical) would help with
this sort of collision.  That's why it came into use and took over
in about 1810.  Is it ever going to be available?  You have
the "classical rest" which is good for absolutely nothing except
possibly forgery, so why not just replace it with a Romantic rest
the way engravers were so quick to do?

Incidentally, the stem direction bug turned up in the only thing I have
ever typeset where I wanted to copy the notes of a published engraved
score exactly.  Do you want to see the measure, or are you taking my
word for it?  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,