Re: Characters supported by TeX but not in Latin 1

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Characters supported by TeX but not in Latin 1
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:34:13 +0200

As long as you use version 2.2.x or earlier, it's just to
replace each backslash by a double backslash if you want
to use the TeX commands:
\\cs \\i \\ug \\.I

In 2.3.x, the answer is different since TeX isn't used to
generate the output.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Hello to all

I'm trying to typeset a Turkish song but I have some trouble with lyrics.
Turkish uses the following letters which are absent from Latin 1:
- s cedilla (TeX \cs)
- dotless i (\i)
- g with half circle (\ug)
- capital I with dot (\.I)

It seems I can't use TeX-like sequences like \ss, etc...
I didn't succeed either in using \char.

If I replace those characters with their ASCII equivalent (dotless i with i for
instance) and edit later the generated TeX file to put back the Turkish
characters I can get the result I want. This shows that the characters I want
to use do exist in the lyrics and title fonts. But this method is really
difficult to use since the lyrics are broken down in syllables and scattered
everywhere in the file, plus if I change anything in the sore I have to do it
again.

Is there another way to use those characters in Lilypond ?

TIA

JX Bardant

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing