Re: Fiddle tuning

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Fiddle tuning
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:47:04 +0200

Erik Ronström wrote:
Hi,

I am typesetting an old book of Swedish fiddle tunes. Some of the tunes
have a non-standard fiddle tuning, shown as four noteheads without
stems just in front of the actual music (much like the ambitius
notation). The noteheads are also marked with the note names to the
right.

I tried the following approach:

\notes {
    \override Stem #'print-function = ##f

You could also use
    \override Stem #'transparent = ##t

    \override Score.TimeSignature #'print-function = ##f
but don't try the transparent property here, since it will add
an empty space where the time signature would have been.
    \partial 4
    <e'' a' e' a >^\markup { \italic Stämning. }
    \revert Stem #'print-function
    \revert Score.TimeSignature #'print-function
... music
}

This works quite well, however, there are still some problems:

1) The tune has repeats (\repeat volta 2). Normally, the first starting
repeat sign is hidden, since it is implicit in the beginning of the
tune. Now it is shown, and I can't find a good way to hide it.

Why not fool LilyPond and let the \repeat volta 2{ start before the
tuning indication?

2) The \markup should space out like \fatText, but I still like to have
the \italic option

Just use \fatText, it applies to all text scripts, no matter if you
use ^\markup{...}  or just ^"...".

3) I cannot figure out how to put note names to the right of the
note-heads. It would be nice to use the fingering mechanism with \set
fingeringOrientations, but can that be done with custom texts?

Not in a simple way, at least not that I know of.
However, you can always move around objects with the extra-offset
property.

   /Mats