Re: shared rests between voice parts?

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: shared rests between voice parts?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:34:49 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> That's just one application of the part combiner.

OK, so the only problem is how to apply the part combiner to this
case, then.  I haven't found out how, yet, and I have read the fine
manual in several of its incantations.

Assuming I have \sopMusic, altoMusic etc defined with all the notes
and rests, and that I'd usually do something roughly like this:

\context ChoirStaff <<
  \context Staff = gals <<
    << \global \sopMusic >>
    \\
    \altoMusic

  \context Staff = guys <<
    \clef "bass"
    \tenorMusic
    \\
    << \global \bassMusic >>

How do I get the part-combiner to merge the rests (and only the rests,
unless things are in unison like forever)?  What do I write instead?

(The answer will go into the TTBB.ly template that I use, which is a
slightly modified version of the SATB.ly template.  I'll post it if
anyone requests it.)

Oh, and can the part-combiner merge lyrics, too?  ;-)

--

Arvid